Fresh scones are fast and easy to make, and ideal for a snack or to take to work
By MARLO CARSTENS
625 ml (2½ c) cake flour
15 ml (1 T) baking powder
1 ml salt
15 ml (1 T) castor sugar
125 g (¼ brick) butter
500 ml (2 c) cheddar, grated
30 ml (2 T) milk
1 extra large egg
187 ml (¾ c) plain yoghurt
Preheat oven to 200 °C.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in castor sugar.
- Rub butter into flour mixture till it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add cheese and mix in by hand until it is distributed well.
- Whisk milk and egg until combined well. Stir in yoghurt.
- Mix yoghurt mixture with flour mixture to form dough.
- Flour working surface and press down dough to about 2 cm thickness.
- Cut out scones to 6 cm circumference.
- Place on greased baking tray and brush with some milk.
- Bake for 12 to15 minutes or until golden brown.