Treat yourself and your family and make this delicious ginger beer
about 3 litres
50 g or 1 thumb sized piece of fresh ginger
3 l (12 cups) water
750 ml (3 cups) sugar
2.5 ml (½ t) dry instant yeast
5 ml (1 t) tartaric acid
5 ml (1 t) cream of tartar
90 ml (6 T) raisins
- Rinse ginger under running water. Cut in smaller pieces and put in pot with water and sugar.
- Boil over medium heat for one hour. Stir regularly till sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool off for one hour.
- Mix yeast, tartaric acid, cream of tartar and raisins. Add a bit of the cooled syrup and stir till mixed well.
- Pour this mixture into the syrup in pot. Stir well.
- Cover with lid and leave it for 24 hours. The raisins should float on the top.
- Remove raisins and pieces of ginger.
- Pour ginger beer in bottles, but leave about 6 cm space at the top. Put two raisins back in each bottle.
- Close caps and keep in fridge till needed.