An all time favourite!
about 120 biscuits
330 g butter or margarine
250 ml (1 cup) sugar
80 ml (1/3 cup) condensed milk
15 ml (1 T) golden syrup
560 g (4 cup) cake flour
5 ml (1 t) salt
5 ml (1 t) cream of tartar
5 ml (1 t) bicarbonate of soda
1 25 g (¼ brick) soft butter or margarine
250 ml (1 cup) icing sugar
1 egg yolk
2.5 ml (½ t) glycerine
75 ml (5 e) cocoa
about 60 whole red cherries, halved
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Cream butter and sugar with electric whisk till light yellow and creamy.
- Add eggs one by one and whisk well after each addition.
- Add condensed milk and golden syrup and stir well.
- Sift together cake flour, salt, cream of tartar and bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix all ingredients together and leave dough to rest for half an hour.
- Roll dough to about 5 mm thick and press out shapes. (We used a flower shape and pressed a hole in the middle of half of the biscuits.)
- Place the biscuits on greased baking trays and bake for about 12 minutes and leave to cool off.
- Sift icing sugar over biscuits with holes.
- Decoration Mix ingredients for decoration till creamy and stick biscuits one on top of the other. Press half a cherry in the middle of the biscuits with holes.