Puff pastry is easy to use. Always keep some in your fridge
4 chicken breasts
750 ml (3 c) water
5 ml (1 t) dry mixed herbs
1 bay leaf
1 ml salt
1 ml pepper
10 ml (2 t) lemon juice
PUFF PASTRY ROLL
400 g (1 roll) puff pastry, defrosted
Some milk to brush top
4 cooked chicken breasts, cubed
1 onion, chopped fine
1 stick of celery, chopped fine
100 g (1 packet) cashew nuts, chopped roughly
565 g (1 tin) litchis, drained
2.5 ml (½ t) dry mustard powder
Pinch of garlic salt
125 ml (½ c) mayonnaise
125 ml (½ c) plain yoghurt
15 ml (1 T) castor sugar
Preheat oven to 220 °C.
- Chicken Place four chicken breasts with all ingredients in saucepan.
- Boil off all water till chicken is cooked. Take care not to scorch it.
- Puff pastry rolls Place puff pastry on counter top and roll open. Cut six rectangles of 13 cm x 10 cm.
- Place baking paper on baking tray and spray with cooking spray.
- Brush a bit of milk over puff pastry squares. Bake for 20 minutes till golden brown.
- Allow to cool off on cooling rack and cut in half so that you get a top and bottom for a roll.
- Chicken salad Place chicken cubes, onion, celery, cashew nuts, litchis and garlic salt in bowl.
- Mix mustard powder and a little bit of mayonnaise till smooth. Add remaining mayonnaise and stir till smooth.
- Add yoghurt and sugar to mayonnaise mixture. Pour dressing over chicken mixture.
- Put lettuce on bottom part of each puff roll. Spoon a generous amount of chicken salad on lettuce and cover with top of roll.