Chocolate is always a winner
By MARLO KITSHOFF-CARSTENS
Photo ANDREA CALDWELL
9 chocolate cups
400 g (1 roll) puff pastry, defrosted
30 ml (2 T) full cream milk
400 g milk chocolate, broken into pieces
375 ml (1½ c) cream
Preheat oven to 200 °C.
- Puff pastry Unroll puff pastry. Don’t flatten it unduly.
- Cut 18 circles with a 10 cm cookie cutter.
- Cut nine of the 18 pastry circles with a smaller cookie cutter (7 cm), so that there is a hole in the middle. Throw away the middle piece.
- Brush edges of full circles with water.
- Line baking tray with baking paper and spray with cooking spray. Put full circles on baking tray.
- Put ring of pastry on circle brushed with water.
- Whip milk and eggs together and brush circles with mixture. Egg mixture shouldn’t run down sides of circles because then pastry layers don’t puff out when baked.
- Bake for 14 minutes till golden brown.
- Allow to cool off on cooling rack. Use immediately or store in airtight container.
- Chocolate mousse Melt chocolate and cream together in glass mixing bowl in microwave at 50% power. Microwave for two to three minutes. Stir every minute.
- Stir till smooth and without lumps. Cool off in fridge for 40 minutes. It shouldn’t set.
- Whip with wooden spoon till fluffy.
- Spoon chocolate mousse into circles and serve as desired.