An easy one casserole dish that’s perfect for a week night
4 to 6 servings
6 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
a glug of oil
2 onions, diced
5 ml (1 t) fresh garlic, chopped
1 ml dried mixed herbs
1 celery stick, chopped
½ red chilli pepper, chopped (optional)
30 ml (2 T) mild curry powder
1 bay leaf
250 ml (1 c) raw white rice
2 carrots, peeled and cut into thick slices
500 ml (2 c) hot chicken stock
60 ml (4 T) boiling water
pinch of ground cinnamon
5 ml (1 t) salt
pinch of black pepper
125 ml (½ c) chutney
15 ml (1 T) white vinegar
some fresh coriander, roughly chopped to scatter over top
Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Heat oil and sauté chicken cubes until they begin to brown. Take out and set aside.
- Heat some more oil if necessary and sauté onions, garlic, herbs, celery and chilli pepper until onions are soft.
- Add curry powder, bay leaf and rice. Stir fry for a while.
- Return chicken cubes and add carrots.
- Combine chicken stock, boiling water, cinnamon, salt, pepper, chutney and white vinegar and pour over rice mixture.
- Place casserole in oven for 1½ hours until rice is soft.
- Scatter chopped coriander over top and serve warm to taste.