These two vegetables go together like bread and jam. Try it and see
By MARLO KITSHOFF-CARSTENS
Assistant CLIFFORD KORFF
Photos ELMARIE KNAPTON
1 onion, chopped
250 g (1 packet) mushrooms, sliced
45 ml (3 T) fresh parsley, chopped
1 bunch of spinach, destalked and chopped
salt and pepper to taste
30 ml (2 T) parmesan, grated
3 eggs, whipped
250 ml (1 c) full cream milk
250 ml (1 c) cream
250 ml (1 c) mozzarella, grated
Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Boil potatoes for about 20 minutes in bubbling water to which 5 ml (1 t) salt has been added.
- Pour off water and allow potatoes to cool off to manageable temperature.
- Skin and slice potatoes.
- Heat oil and sauté onion, mushrooms and parsley till soft. Turn off stove plate.
- Place spinach on mushrooms and put lid on saucepan and allow spinach to wilt. Leave on warm stove plate for five minutes before removing.
- Place a layer of sliced potatoes in greased 20 cm x 30 cm oven dish.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon half of mushroom and spinach mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan.
- Repeat layers, finishing off with a potato layer.
- Whisk eggs, milk and cream. Pour over potato dish.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Bake for 30 minutes till golden brown.