The oat bars are both filling and delicious
By MARLO KITSHOFF-CARSTENS
Photo ELMARIE KNAPTON
about 48 bars
250 ml (1 c) corn flakes (Kellogg’s Corn Flakes), crushed coarsely
250 ml (1 c) coconut
750 ml (3 c) oats
125 ml (½ c) sunflower seeds
2 50 ml (1 c) dried cranberries– Woolworths
125 ml (½ c) pecan nuts, chopped
250 ml (1 c) cake flour
375 ml (1½ c) light brown sugar
5 ml (1 t) ground cinnamon
2.5 ml (½ t) salt
250 g (½ brick) butter
45 ml (3 T) honey
10 ml (2 t) bicarbonate of soda
80 ml (1/3 k) full cream milk
Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Mix corn flakes, coconut, oats, sunflower seeds, cranberries, pecan nuts, cake flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt thoroughly in mixing bowl.
- Melt butter and honey together and stir till smooth.
- Mix bicarbonate of soda with full cream milk.
- Stir bicarbonate mixture into melted butter mixture.
- Add butter mixture to oats mixture.
- Line baking tray of 24 cm x 24 cm with baking paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Press mixture into baking tray and smooth surface.
- Bake for 18 minutes or longer until golden brown.
- Allow to cool off for 20-22 minutes in baking tray and cut in wedges of about 3 cm x 3 cm.
- Place bars on cooling rack