The easiest Christmas cake ever. Too tired to spend hours in the kitchen this year? Try this fruit cake
By: Marlo Kitshoff-Carstens
Photo: Andrea Caldwell
1 round cake
250 ml (1 cup) water
250 ml (1 cup) sugar
180 g butter
500 ml (2 cups) sultanas
250 ml (1 cup) raisins
60 ml (4 T) citrus zest
250 g (1 packet) dates, chopped fine
2 50 g (1 box) whole glazed red cherries
3 extra large eggs
5 ml (1 t) bicarbonate of soda
15 ml (1 T) brandy
500 ml (2 cups) cake flour
5 ml (1 t) baking powder
1 ml salt
1 00 g (1 packet) pecan nuts, chopped
60 ml (4 T) brandy
extra brandy for drizzling
Preheat oven to 160 °C.
- Boil water with sugar, butter, sultanas, raisins, citrus zest, dates and cherries for 20 minutes while stirring on and off.
- Allow fruit mixture to cool off for 15 minutes.
- Whisk eggs and stir into fruit mixture.
- Add bicarbonate of soda and brandy to fruit mixture and mix well.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and salt together and stir into fruit mixture.
- Add nuts to the batter.
- Spoon batter into a 22 cm round cake tin that has been lined with two layers of brown paper and sprayed thoroughly with baking spray.
- Bake for 90 minutes or till cake tester comes out clean.
- Drizzle brandy (60 ml) over baked cake. Allow to cool off and wrap in foil. Keep in an airtight container.
- Drizzle regularly with extra brandy and decorate as you wish.