The talented actress Sandi Schultz shares her recipe for a vegetarian butternut dish
She says she only really started cooking after she moved back to South Africa. “There are certain dishes that I enjoy cooking. I like to use fresh (and organic) ingredients if possible.“ Sandi likes seafood, fresh fruit and veggies, nuts and chicken curry and she normally has quinoa and coconut milk in her food cupboard. Her mother’s chicken curry and her grandmother’s sago pudding are the dishes that take her back to her childhood days. She prefers to buy vegetables that are peeled and chopped, so she needs not do the work herself!
1 onion, chopped
5 ml (1 t) fresh, chopped garlic
Some coconut or other oil
15 ml (1 T) curry powder or Amina’s chicken curry paste
2,5 ml (½ t) ground cumin
2,5 ml (½ t) ground dry coriander
5 ml (1 t) tomato paste
2 medium butternuts, peeled and cubed
410 g (1 tin) chopped tomatoes
1 big sweet potato, peeled and cubed
410 g (1 tin) chickpeas, drained
400 ml (1 tin) coconut milk
30 ml (2T) vegetable stock or Nature’s Choice vegetable stock
About 250 ml (1 c) water
Fresh coriander (optional) for garnish
- Sauté onion and garlic in coconut or other oil till soft.
- Add curry, cumin, coriander and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add butternut and stir to coat with spices.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another minute.
- Add sweet potato and chickpeas and mix to coat all over.
- Add coconut milk and mix well.
- Add stock and water to cover ingredients.
- Turn heat lower and cook till vegetables are soft and water is absorbed. Stir now and then.
- Serve warm.
Quinoa goes well with this dish